Driffield dating itemupdating before properties afterproperties
Driffield became a Bomber Command airfield, occupied by 58 and 215 Squadron, flying Vickers Virginia bombers under control of No. However, when 4 Group was formed in April 1937, Driffield was taken over by the new Group.
The RAF expanded rapidly, and 215 Sqn's 'B' flight was used to form 75 Sqn.
It was to be used by 3 and 27 Training Squadrons, which later formed 21 Training Depot Station.
Several other bombers, as well as buildings were damaged, and the airfield was put out of action for several days.
When the airfield was sufficiently repaired, both squadrons moved their remaining aircraft to RAF Linton-on-Ouse (77Sqn) and RAF Leeming (102 Sqn).
Over the next few months, there was no operational activity at the airfield.
102 Squadron RAF, surrounded by service personnel and visiting journalists.
This aircraft may have been the first aircraft to deliberately drop bombs on Germany when it took part in the important raid on Hornum on the night of 19/20 March 1940.
Although Driffield officially opened in July 1936, the airfield had been not completed enough to allow operations.